Curriculum Vita: Short Form
- A.B., Princeton University (English), 1961
- Ph.D., Cornell University (English), 1966
- Tunghai University (Taiwan), Instructor of English, 1963-5
- Oberlin College, Asst./Assoc./Professor of English, 1966-90
- Chair of Department, 1985-90
- Harvard University, Professor of English, 1990-2011
- Dean for Undergraduate Education, 1992-1996
- Chair of Department, 1998-2004
- John P. Marquand Professor of English, 1996-2002
- Powell M. Cabot Professor of American Literature, 2002-11, Research Professor 2011-
Selected Fellowships and Prizes
- National Endowment for the Humanities Senior Research Fellowships, 1979-80, 2002
- John Simon Guggenheim Foundation Fellowship, 1987-8
- Modern Language Association (American Literature group) Jay Hubbell Award for Lifetime Achievement in American Literature Studies, 2007
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences, elected 2008
- Mellon Foundation Research Fellowship 2011-3
- Fulbright Fellowship, 2014
Selected Bibliography: Books
Literary Transcendentalism: Style and Vision in the American Renaissance. Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 1973. Pulitzer Prize nomination.
The Morgesons and Other Writings, Published and Unpublished, by Elizabeth Stoddard. Critical edition, co-ed. with Sandra Zagarell. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1984. MLA James Russell Lowell Prize nomination.
New England Literary Culture: From Revolution Through Renaissance. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1986. Pulitzer Prize nomination.
The Environmental Imagination: Thoreau, Nature Writing, and the Formation of American Culture. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1995.
Writing for an Endangered World: Literature, Culture, and Environment in the United States and Beyond. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2001. John Cawelti Prize of the American Culture Association and Popular Culture Association for year’s best book in American Culture Studies.
Emerson. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2003. Pulitzer Prize nomination. 2003 Warren-Brooks Award. 2004 Phi Beta Kappa Society Christian Gauss Award for outstanding work of literary criticism.
The Future of Environmental Criticism. Cambridge (U.K.): Blackwell, 2005. Japanese translation, 2008. Chinese translation, 2010.
Shades of the Planet: American Literature as World Literature. Ed. with Wai Chee Dimock. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2007.
The Dream of the Great American Novel. Cambridge MA: Harvard University Press, 2014.