Join the Walden Woods Project to co-create an index of all of the animals mentioned in Thoreau’s Journals! Like Ray Angelo’s Botanical Index, this will become a valuable resource to Thoreau scholars for years to come.
Reasons to join us:
- Researchers around the world will benefit from this resource.
- Everyone who contributes to the Animal Index will be recognized when it is completed and made public!
- Hot chocolate, tea and goodies will be served.
- Experience the rare fire in the Walden Woods Project’s Great Hall walk-in fireplace!
- You can come for as much—or little—as you are able!
- Share some winter camaraderie with fellow Thoreauvians.
- We only have 3-1/2 volumes left to index and we fully expect to finish at this Blitz! We are planning a champagne toast when we are done!
(If you can’t join us in person, there is the possibility of participating remotely—note on the registration form where it asks about remote participation.)
What can I expect at the Animal Index Blitz?
- Each participant will be assigned a certain number of pages, depending on how much time they have, of Thoreau’s journal to read (accessed on-line).
- As participants read, they will be asked to note any mention of an animal. We will provide instructions and a list of Frequently Asked Questions.
- We have a limited number of desktop computers for participants to use; if you have a laptop, please bring it, so more people can participate at a time!
Contact Whitney Retallic, Director of Education, with questions.
Here are some photos from our last two Animal Index Blitz events.