Join The Walden Woods Project to co-create an index of all of the animals mentioned in Thoreau’s Journals! Like Ray Angelo’s Botanical Index, this will become a valuable resource to Thoreau scholars for years to come.
Reasons to join us:
- Researchers around the world will benefit from this resource.
- Everyone who contributes to the Animal Index will be recognized when it is completed and made public!
- Hot chocolate, tea and goodies will be served.
- Experience the rare fire in The Walden Woods Project’s Great Hall walk-in fireplace!
- You can come for as much—or little—as you are able!
- Share some mid-winter camaraderie with fellow Thoreauvians.
(If you can’t join us in person, there is the possibility of participating remotely—register below and note where it asks about remote participation.)
What can I expect at the Animal Index Blitz?
- Each participant will be assigned a certain number of pages, depending on how much time they have, of Thoreau’s journal to read (accessed on-line).
- As participants read, they will be asked to note any mention of an animal. We will provide instructions and a list of Frequently Asked Questions.
- We have a limited number of desktop computers for participants to use; if you have a laptop, please bring it, so more people can participate at a time!
Contact Whitney Retallic, Director of Education, with questions.